On May 1, 4:18 pm, Jeff Feldstein <cygoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently these folks throw some pipe insulation on their bikes and throw
> it on the plane.

I've done it with my Quickbeam. When I  arrived at the other end, I
stowed the pipe insulation in a bag, put on the pedals, straightened
the bars, and rode to my hotel. The frame got a tiny scratch on it
going home, nothing serious. I was able to watch the baggage handlers
with it changing planes in Phoenix, and they seemed perplexed but
handled it nicely. Watching them toss bags around you understand how
important it is to pack carefully, and why it might be better to send
a bike unbagged and unboxed. Now that most airlines are charging for
checked bags, the cost penalty for checking a bike isn't as big as it
used to be.

Ted Durant