I would always go with the 36. One reason is that the spokes at the rim
joint cross, so the spoke tension is working to close the rim joint. This
was the reason to go to 44 instead of 40 or 48 many, many years ago, but I
think that 44 is an obsolete spoke count at this point. Rims are so much
better now that it probably does not matter any more. At 280, I have lots
of bikes with 40 and 48 spoke rims. But I don't break spokes on my 32 hole
rims either.

Laing
Delray Beach FL