Oh, very much +1 for O'Brien. His works (like John Le Carre's) really
amount to minor literature, so well does he depict character and the way it
drives action and reaction, for his technical knowledge of fully-rigged
sailing (he has been praised for accuracy by sailors, apparently), and his
light but compelling style with a tongue in cheek quality that does not
diminish the drama.

Le Carre's earlier works, particularly the Karla Trilogy and up to about
Absolute Friends. I don't think his earliest or his later books are as
good. And you can find the BBC's excellent dramatization with Alec Guiness;
far better than subsequent adaptions, IMO.

Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series. Cornwell is not at all as good as O'Brien
or Le Carre, but he's good enough historically and literarily; but avoid
his medieval stuff that is just psychologically and emotionally
anachronistic; people didn't think like that in the "dark" or middle ages.
And since characterization drives plot and action ...

BBC or some British TV company dramatized the Sharpe series and did it well.

MacBeth. MacBeth is a very modern character, but one that fits with the
chronological setting as someone who bets his soul on advancement only to
see it, very consciously and clearly, all slip through his fingers despite
horrible crimes committed to preserve it, and he can find no other recourse
than to continue pursuing his destructive course.

Enough literary criticism. But there is so much good adventure fiction
available.

Patrick Moore, who was raised without TV in various places by a MLS mother
and a father who at one time managed the Library of Congress's Stack and
Reader Division before managing some of the library's overseas offices.