That's a good find.

I find aesthetic displeasure with that era of the Shimano MTB hubs.
"Parallax" was a design cue taken from the boutique part makers that were
becoming the dreams and bucket list items of cyclists instead of Shimano's
upper
end parts. Their design language took from the greater simplicity of those,
their more linear appearance and wider bearing stance. By doing so Shimano
departed from aesthetically pleasing lines like these
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/223918532061?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=223918532061&targetid=1263433206134&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9005918&poi=&campaignid=13917593254&mkgroupid=128459921161&rlsatarget=pla-1263433206134&abcId=9300613&merchantid=427106103&gclid=Cj0KCQiA15yNBhDTARIsAGnwe0WG7rg0XCPP8xv7aKoPTIPNZcpHZKyb3KvTb46Q0OZ62ZfesNSSqW0aAnQhEALw_wcB>.

Rough example, but same design era as the grail era XTR hubs lots of rando
folks still seek.

Those black plastic cone seals of the Parallax hubs confused some folks.
They were fixed at the axle and rotate at their wide skirt interface with
an O-ring in a groove in the end of the hub body. I think it was
engineering to a design to get the wider bearing stance rather than the
best engineering providing shelter for those bearings. BITD we saw a few of
them that didn't cipher to owners who thought were broken then did it for
real, tearing up the fixture for holding the small end at the axle. If not
intact, they left the wider stance ball bearings, race, cone and grease
were pretty much out in the daylight. They were first available as the
pricey axle and hardware assembly, certainly parts that if not intact now
should give pause to any effort to build one into a wheel.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh