Keith: Thanks for this, very good to know. You said that 75 mm tires
(2.95") fit with ample room to spare on the Susie Longbolts; thus true 3
inchers -- 76 mm -- should fit at more than a pinch; right? (That's a
question, asking for an answer.)

So, I hope that the Suzy is a true option for a sand cruiser, as far as
tire width goes. Next question: You say, Rivs encourage seated pedaling.
This worries me, because I like high-torque, low-rpm pedaling, and this is
not for chainstay reasons, but rather because I find it more comfortable --
I feel more efficient torquing at low rpm, and I run out of breath when I
sit and twiddle uphill; even in my breathless senescence, I like shoving
back behind the bb and shoving forward on the pedals. Doubtless much of
this is habituation; I used to be a twiddler who would maintain 21-23 mph
over long distances on the flat in a 64" gear; but even in these years I'd
rarely used the lower gears on my cassette, and very clearly recall
standing to climb while shifting down just 5 or 10 gear inches under my 65"
- 70" cruising gears (now, 25 years later, my cruising gears are more like
7--75"). At any rate, I like to torque, and find 60" a nice climbing gear
for moderate, extended climbs (Tramway). I don't want a frame that makes
standing and honking awkward. Can you elaborate on your observation and on
my anxieties?

Also, I fear bars too high. I've always been more comfortable with a
sufficient bend between hips and thighs, and the few times I tried High and
Close the bike has felt tippy, awkward, inefficient, hard to pedal. Note:
this over decades of bike setup. Can a Susan be built to allow a
comfortable forward-lean position?

Must look up the Scapegoat. Would you kindly post a photo? But I dream of
the superlative Rivendell handling with a bike that will take 75s and let
me shove back and torque ...