One way to think about DT shifters is that they are above the same level
(or slightly less stretch) as the top of your water bottle when it is
mounted on the downtube. For a given bike set up (geometry, seat height, or
stem height etc), you can simulate DT shifter experience by touching the
top of your bottle. If you have non-DT shifters now, on your next ride,
touch the top of your water bottle every time you are shifting gear and
that might give you a "reasonable" estimate for what the change might feel
like. Of course, this method doesn't account for the fact that most people
with DT shifters will compensate to some degree by shifting less
frequently.