I spent an afternoon with Greg Siple a number of years back while riding
across the USA, and using my memory only he told me the adapted derailleurs
and any other modifications for those early epic touring bikes were done at
a local Missoula shop called Braxton's. I think he built bicycles as well.
Ian Hibell's Africa bike is also up in the rafters of Adventure Cycling's
headquarters and worth a look.