The line of logic, as I understand it, is according to Paul, the
'Neo-Retro' brakes are more powerful, yet pose heel clearance issues when
used in the rear, so are most often relegated to the front where the bulk
of stopping power is needed while their 'Touring' cantis fit better in the
rear.

However, in my experience, Paul 'Touring' cantis have typically been more
powerful than 'Neo-Retros', as addressed here:

*"So I would guess that the narrow-stance Touring Canti, if set up with a
low straddle cable as described by Sheldon Brown...would actually be more
powerful than the wide-stance Neo-Retro – the opposite of what the Paul
site says." *- Lennard Zinn /
https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical-faq-with-lennard-zinn-a-detailed-look-at-brake-shudder/

Regardless of the model, cantis of all flavors benefit heavily from proper
set up:

https://blackmtncycles.com/get-the-most-out-of-your-canti-brake/