I have not heard anyone from Riv say the front-facing clamp bolt is to
discourage cantis. I'm also unaware of a Riv canti being worked on although
it's possible I've forgotten, they're planning a v-brake.

One nice thing about this positioning is the bolt is easier to get to with
a saddlebag in place. I'm a notorious saddle height fiddler and am
constantly fighting bags to squeeze my wrench in there.

Joe Bernard