Joyce and others: a question and some remarks.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 11:49 AM JAS <swanson.jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ....*Showers Pass jacket with pit zips for core ventilation.

1. I always assumed that SP jackets were meant for rain. Question: Do they
serve well (because of pit zips) as an outer layer and insulator for
dry-weather cold-temperature (32 south to teens) over wool layers?

*Outdoor Research winter gloves with long gauntlet

ODR or other, certainly yes to long gauntlets. I very often will wear
repurposed street gloves (like the Bundeswehr pair) that are very nice but
leave a 1/2" gap between end of cuff and beginning of glove; not nice at
25*!

> wearing a fanny pack or waist pack will also help keep the cold from
> coming up the bottom of your jacket

Rant begins! *Cycling bottoms, tights or pants, should have waists high
enough in the back that even when in the hooks of a drop bar the waistband
does not separate from your top layer!!!!!!!* I can't say how many, often
expensive winter riding pants I've bought only to find that they are
stupidly, stupidly cut like last year's hipster jeans. I've had expensive
pants -- Enduras, Osloh jeans so beloved of BSNYC -- retailored in the
waist to fit more snugly and reduce this gapping tendency. And I'm not
talking of gapping due to an oversized belly and slipping waist, either.
Rant ends.

But the most comfortable riding bottoms of all, ever, besides
cycling-specific tights (which seem all to be cut high in back) are
converted mens' dress pants from long before today's modern, low-cut and
tight re-makes of 1960s pants. These come up high enough to well overlap or
underlap your jersey, and to hold a tucked-in layer securely tucked in when
you are bent over the hooks. (Speaking of 1960s: 1960s dress pants are old
even for me, but I recall owning in the mid 1980s a very nice pair of dress
wools that must have been 20 years old then: pegged like Jack Kennedy but
high in waist like your grandfather's pants. Wish I'd kept them.)