Here's an out-there suggestion for a "road" bike with no proper rack
attachment points

Convert to Dia Compe GC610
centerpulls:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/124254805889
Buy the Gran Compe ENE front rack:  Dia-Compe Ene Front Rack Bag Luggage
Carrier for Road Bikes Silver | eBay <https://www.ebay.com/itm/255277087645>
(optional), buy the adorable bag to fit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333939881911

I ran this setup for a while on my Black Mountain Road, and it worked
fine.  I ran a normal handlebar bag with a decaleur.

Bill Lindsay