George:

You mention taking your Atlantis on a road trip.  Is this a bke tour
or are you taking the bike along with you on a vehicle trip?  Think
about what you're going to use the bike for and whether you need to
ride it every day to get where you are going.  Those constraints are
important in your choice of tire.  If the bike is going with you but
just for day rides, you can go with about any tire you want.  But if
the bike is your primary mode of transportation, 28 might be a bit
narrow.

FWIW, I run 35mm Marathon Supremes on my Atlantis for everything from
loaded tours to So Cal sand washes.  They're absolutely perfect for
touring but perhaps a bit lacking off-road :).  BTW, I have no clue on
the tire size / rim size queston, but I'll wager that if Riv supplied
the wheels, they could advise you on appropriate tire sizes.

dougP