This is my third week manually commuting.

The first week, I split the commute days between walking and riding. Sure,
it's cold on a bike when it's 25* , but I was to my destination in 12
minutes vs 32-34 walk (you have to stop a lot at red lights in the city). I
did not like the backpack, because riding generated a lot of heat and my
back got moist.    Last week it rained nearly every day, so I walked or
walked/bussed.  If it stops raining tonight, I'll take my Platy tomorrow.
Or, whenever it dries out.

I received a couple of generous offers to try now-unneeded panniers and
backpack/pannier combos, and I'm going to try the panniers,  meeting
generous person tomorrow for the hand-off.  I already used Tom's bag in a
bag suggestion and it worked well.  I'll probably bring all my shoes/pants
on day one and wear my shirts.  John, I'll probably put th small saddle
sack on the Homer to switch it up between that and Platy for long after
work rides.  The She-devil is great for in town, but I'd rather ride my
Rivs for pure pleasure.

Toshi, I invested in HexLox that BicycleBelleDingDing (Leah) recommended.
I guess it's time to put them on!

Emily and Ezree, I was really tempted by PoCampo's Bergen pannier, but got
other offers, so will try local one. Bergen is practical and pretty.
Perhaps I need another bike (not) to justify a Bergen purchase...

I'll post a picture once the Platy is setup.  I'm sure that  come
springtime, my commute home will be about 20 miles. Yea!