This is a great conversation and reminds me of a maxim in my industry;
"some people buy equipment so they can make music, others make music so
they can buy equipment." Neither are wrong, both achieve satisfaction from
their chosen path but the approaches are polar opposites.

What does worry me is that bicycling is going the way of the HiFi industry
where "anoraks" who insist that you can't have good sound without $500
cables have destroyed the middle ground for equipment and denied many the
experience of quality home listening. You now have the high-end, high-$$
market & box systems from Costco with almost nothing between them.

If the bicycle industry continues to "innovate" to the point where the
technology and price point drives away the more casual rider they will find
themselves in the same position; selling expensive bikes to a stagnant
market with the rest of the riding population buying from the big box
stores.