I certainly won't blame you! I'm fortunate that my grocery runs are (almost
always) flat runs, the stores being North and South of me so that I ride
parallel to the river with literally just a few feet of elevation change
either way. It's when I ride East or West, I get the hills.

But after riding fixed into winds for years, having lower gears for winds
(and hills) feels decadent, as if I'm shirking duty. But I get over it.