Hey Brendon, and everyone else,

Do you still have this bike? I am curious to know how it is riding these
day. Did you ever run into any issues with the headset binding since the
steer tube is still bent? Turns out I am in the same predicament, and I am
trying to figure out what to do. My head tube is banana-ed just like yours,
and the down tube is bowed by just about the same amount.

Here's the story:
I bought a used mustard double top tube Appaloosa from a guy in Sacramento,
62cm. It has a lot of top of the line parts, some some chips, and the price
was right. The guy assured me that the frame was good to go. Apparently he
was even a bike mechanic for a while. He was a really nice guy. I didn't
notice anything weird when I did a few laps on it in the parking lot, but I
think I was just giddy about getting the bike. I took it on a real ride the
next day, and realized the ride characteristics were odd - the bike seemed
to lean to and favor the left side. It would hardly lean into right turns
at all, and I really had to leverage the bars to get it to go that way. It
seemed to wonder a bit below me as I rode and would not track properly. On
sharp right hand turns in loose dirt or sand, the wheel would turn right,
but the bike would try to keep going straight creating a very sketchy
sensation. I am not convinced the guy withheld info about the damage, but I
have a hard time believing he was ignorant to it. I always try to assume
positive intent - I am still trying to do that - but man...

Soon after, I notice the the rear hub is 130mm, and the frame is spaced to
135mm. It also appeared that the front wheel was a few mm off center in the
fork. Wishfully, I convinced myself that the wheels needed to be spaced
properly and dished. Rich Lesnik of Hands on Wheels is in the neighborhood,
and he had the White Industries spacer that I needed for the rear wheel. I
brought them to him and he spaced and dished the rear wheel for me for $50
bucks. Thanks Rich! He took a look at the front wheel and said it was
straight. That ruled that out.

After a few rides of thinking that I might be crazy, I decided to take the
fork off the bike and give it a good once over. I put it on the kitchen
table and sure enough, it was outta wack. It is pretty obvious now that the
bike had been in a front end collision at one point. The headset bearing
race on the fork is gouged, too, in a way that I can only imagine would
happen in an impact.

Today I stripped all of the parts off of the frame. I held a straight edge
up to the head tube and down tube, and sure enough, they are both bowed.
The damage to my frame looks identical to the damage on Brendons, which is
bizarre. It seems like it is pretty rare to bend a head tube. What is even
weirder is I don't think the steer tube on my fork is bent at all. All of
the bend is at the blades, both laterally and fore and aft. I am like 94%
sure of that. The headset doesn't seem to be binding at all, which I
understand can happen when things there get misaligned.

Anyways, I am pretty bummed. This is the most $$ I have ever spent on a
bike, and most of the research I have done says that a bent head tube means
game over. Your story makes me hopeful that It can be salvaged. I am
obviously pretty eager for a solution. Or at least a hug. Eric Billings in
Oakland is going to take a look at it tomorrow, but he isn't sure yet if
the bent head tube is repairable. I have reached out to Bernie Mikkelsen
and Ed Litton as well, but have not hear back yet.

Any advice out there? and Miraculous solutions? Olly olly oxen free!

TLDR: Frame real broke in same way as above. Need help.

Thanks,
Joe in SF