As long as you're within the total capacity of the RD it could work with
one of those Wolf Tooth derailleur hanger extensions, called a Roadlink I
think. Others make them, but Wolfies and Wheels Mfg I know for sure use a
stainless steel bolt, while the other use aluminum.  The Wolfie helps to
clear the largest cog only, it doesn't add any capacity, that's for the
RD.  A 13-42 , at 29 teeth, doesn't leave much room for a triple with much
spread. 45t is what most mtb RD are ? That leaves 16t spread for the rings.
I for one never use certain combos of course so these "formulas" are
theoretical, actual use, if you know what you're doing, can go beyond all
that. "Know what you're doing" ... meaning .... not running say a 26t small
cog and the last 3 cogs, and likewise, not using the big ring in at least
the 2 largest cogs, it really depends on the crank chainline and how much
you heed or ignore the horrible sound of cross angling of the chain.

A half step triple would work, like a 44/40/28 for example. The numbers are
off the top of my head, not a suggestion. Having the half step would help
split some of the large jumps in the cassette.