I used several pairs of the first-gen Silver bar end shifters extensively
and always ended up putting blue Loctite on the mounting bolts to prevent
loosening. I daresay beeswax would work too.

Silvers are hardly the only shifters that require this treatment, IME.

Patrick Moore, currently using Suntour Barcons ... with blue Loctite, in
ABQ, NM