Patrick,
One workaround worth trying - disable external images in Gmail - Settings -
General - Images
[image: Screenshot 2022-06-17 093305.jpg]
It MIGHT remove all inline images from posts. Then you can go to
groups.google.com to look at them later, if you want.

I can't find a tool to force Gmail or Chrome to resize images to prevent
the overflow, and the image size thing is a problem in the web UI also.

Email is actually the cause of this problem as far as I can tell. Using
email for forums is really inefficient (software/IT-wise), and I'm sure
Google wants to kill off Groups. But I think it's become part of their
internal workflow, so they keep supporting it for the use cases they need
it for (email based notification and support), but they're being
purposefully antagonistic about the image thing. I think they're bricking
it just enough so that people quit using it for things like sharing bike
photos. I don't think there's much we can do except ask people to resize
their images before posting or add them as attachments.

I like email a lot, but the user interfaces for using it as a social
network really haven't kept up with they way people share stuff. At this
point, it would be an expensive passion project to try to make it work.

Paul