I have found that the thin line salmons, when working, are great pads but
by far the fussiest to setup. Getting them to be quiet can require such
ludicrous amounts of toe-in that the pad wont last more than 1000 miles.
One trick that has worked previously worked is cleaning the pads themselves
with isopropyl and then with hot detergent water. Not one or the other.
Both, in that order.
I am trying the grey cheapy pads that riv started selling with Neo-retros
on my Susie and the setup was painless, and the braking is far improved to
my previous experience with Neo-retros.
Sometimes everything just works, sometimes It doesn't, and if I could tell
which was which in advance I'd never learn anything.