Kurt, I'm essentially the same size as GP also... I think he's 85pbh...I'm
84.5
We are the same height otherwise. 5'10.5" with a 75cm saddle height.
I think a lot of the stretched out feeling has a lot to do with personal
preference ...some people don't mind leaning forward and others do.
I suspect another big piece is the seat tube and head tube angles being
slack , coupled with the longer bike in general.   For me, I enjoy being
stretched out and forward on on my Hillborne but less so on the Cheviot.
The cheviot is a great ride for me, but I tend to like it for rides shorter
than 15 miles or so.  Longer than that and I want to be on my Sam.
thanks
JS