Hi Catherina,
Going with a Shimano freehub seems unlikely to be relevant, since the
problem is with shifting your front chainrings. They appear to not be have
any features like "ramps" and "pins" that are intended to make shifting
chainrings easier. I believe you would be able to fix your shifting by
swapping to chainrings that do have those features. It is possible that the
crank is simply designed with wide spacing between the chainrings that
isn't compatible with 10-speed chain - I don't know enough about that to
say one way or the other.

Chainrings designs all match a few standards, so you should be able to get
Shimano or SRAM chainrings (based on your picture, look for 110mm bolt
circle diameter). You do have a 10-speed cassette, so make sure you get
10-speed chainrings and use 10-speed chain.

-Wes