I don't know your weight is Alex but 42 PSI for any 48mm tire seems a bit
high for *any *tire. I've let some air out of tires in rare circumstances
but it's not something I want to do on a regular basis. If I do let air out
I'll keep it there for the rest of the ride. In "someone else's shoes"
though, I could do anything applicable to the circumstance.  I've only used
the Topeak Road and Mountain Morphs since 2000. They're rather large and
bulky, but they function just like a mini floor pump, so you're pushing
down against the ground, rather than across your other arm. Their frame
mount is stupid though so you have to buy your own side mount with bottle
cages. I may buy a Silca Tattico to try as I rarely use a pump on the road
anyways. it's one of the few mini hose type pumps that have a lever-lock
head, rather than a screwy screw-on. I have no idea how effective it is
though using arm to arm resistance without trying it. Basically I haven't
tried a bunch of pumps, let alone bags, so no not every Riv rider is so
inclined to try every one out there. What you seen in print and other media
offers a very limited view of what the real World actually is, in all It's
glorious variety.