On longer rides I change inflation for sections with different surfaces,
speeds or handing challenges best addressed by such. I have a full size
Zefal HPX under the top tube, on the head tube pump peg, of my 700x32
(tubes) Rambouillet and a Lezyne Road modified for the peg and dropout nub
on my left rear seat stay on my 650Bx42 (tubeless) Coast rando. I find both
pretty handy for a fast stop to add air.

I'm in the camp of adjusting until it feels right, a gauge reading being a
number to start with instead of gospel. If I get lateral sidewall flex when
pedaling through a paved turn, I add. If I'm being battered by feeling each
piece of aggregate in course pavement or gravel I let some out. Conversely,
particularly with the Rambouillet, I grudgingly add air when I sense the
potential for rim pinching under a particular load.

On both bikes I'm riding RH tires and have found them rewarding to my
perceptions of fine tuning tire pressures. It's ultimately what motivated
me to go low trail, front loading, when pumping up the Rambouillet's rear
tire above my normal PSI if carrying stuff for overnight or longer because
it made harder riding than when unloaded and is a noticeable source of
fatigue on long rides. That's when stopping to optimize inflation is not a
waste of riding time but rather an investment in reaping the best rewards i
can from my bike and the duration of the ride. I've had to work up to to a
century ride on the Ram in any season where the bigger tired and wider
tolerance of inflation pressures Coast enabled me to ride such distances
much more easily and without feeling as worn out afterward.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh