Thanks for the tips. I'll lean my tendency to procrastinate against my
perfectionist compulsion to remove unused metal, and probably wind up just
leaving things as they are. But I think I'd try a Dremel cutting wheel
first.

Garth, when I look down between my legs and see those inner ring shelves
rotating uselessly around, it irritates my aesthetic sense.

But my main question: Will 52/17 materially reduce chain friction over
46/15? In your plural experience?