I agree the HZ cable cutters a great for the price. rmrose: I cut with the
HZ and then crimp with a pair of Knipex diagonal cutters. Not a crimping
tool, but a cutting tool. With finesse you can get good crimps with
diagonal cutters, I believe lots of mechanics use them.

I had a pair of red-handled Amazon wonders and they quickly became trash. I
could make better cuts with my teeth.

I love Felco tools, my partner's a gardener and I service her Felcos every
few months with a complete disassembly, cleaning, greasing and sharpening.
They also sell replacement bits for every component, washer, blade, handle,
cog, etc.

Garth, I'm surprised you're getting good cuts of cables and housing with
linesman pliers. Having used many nice ones for other types of work I
wouldn't think the shape of the blades would allow for nice cuts. I agree
that looking outside of the world of bike-specific tools turns up nice
stuff. Like Wera stainless hex wrenches and Felco wire cutters.

And there's this from Jobst Brandt
<https://yarchive.net/bike/cable_housing_cut.html>on the old
rec.bicycles.misc:

"You don't need any special cable housing cutters. Brake cable housing is
made of coiled wire and can be cut with wire cutters for steel just the
same as so called cable housing cutters. The idea that the end of the
housing must be ground flat is an excessive attention to minutia. Cable
housings have been cut with diagonal cutters effectively for eons with no
ill effects."