To follow up on Minh's questions - I also commute in SF, and I like to take
my bags off my bike if I lock it outside. So what's worked well for me is a
front rack with a Wald basket with a bag that sits inside.

Here's a sweet bag that's made locally too-

https://www.tunitascarryall.com/product-page/basket-tote-137