I can relate to options. I ride my Bombadil with 50mm Big Bens the same as
I ride my custom Franklin with 33mm tires. They're just two distinct
variations of a bicycle. I ride both on the road, regardless of it's
quality of surface. I don't consider one good for this, or the other good
for that, I'll ride either anywhere I ride the other. The Bombadil design
and tubing is thicker than 531ST, but so what ? It's not like we're
comparing a feather to a tank.

I also bought a Susie when they came out. I have yet to build it, I'm in no
hurry to either as I have two working bikes already. I thought about
selling it for a Rosco Platy as it was purple. The rationale was as you, I
don't "need" the wide tire capacity of the Susie. After getting the
geometry and thinking it over ..... nah ... what was I thinking ? It
offered nothing that the Susie didn't, and it had all the same to me,
limitations., a 26.8 post and no rear canti cable stop, plus the bb is
lower. I bought the Susie over a Clem because the BB was 70mm and not 80mm.
My Bombadil is 80mm also and sometimes I wish it was higher. Not for
clearance, just the feel. Plus.... the names Rosco nor Platypus don't do
anything for me. Neither did the look of the Rosco or the Platypus. Susie
Longbolts .... that I just smile with when I think of that name, I can't
help it. I think of all those women during the WWII years that did all the
jobs that they guys away at war did. The "Longbolts" being a complimentary
nickname. Platypus ? I don't relate to.....no affinity for it... and all
the sales pitching just made it more obvious. Like taste in foods, one
likes what they like and that's that. Both Gus and Susie are fictional
names, that leaves them open to using the imagination to relate.

I don't ride upright like driving Miss Daisy either and like being
stretched out, and the Susie/Gus has all the real estate I would need. I
have some 52mm and 55mm tires for the Susie and that's fine with me. Is
that too wide, too narrow ? Compared to what, and when, and how ? Are
comparisons ever valid ? Is one ever two ?  Challenge the cliche's and
so-called ways of convention. Repeating them doesn't make it so.

Giddyup Gus and Go !