Rides like the Davis Double are fully supported, no need to carry more
food or water than needed to get to the next rest stop.   Brevets are
self-supported, so randonneurs tend to carry more baggage, and their
bikes are built up accordingly.

Bill, who rode the Davis Double in 1989, and is FAR from DC shape
these days.