I started working as an RN in the perioperative world this summer. I pre-op
patients for surgery and joints and spines are the bread and butter of my
department. We see a LOT. Often they come in to have their other side
(knee, hip) done and I always ask how the first joint replacement went.
Almost always they report it was easier than expected, they have full
function, and they seem less apprehensive when getting the second side
done. Last week I had a woman with a hip who loved to ride horses. The
surgeon told her she could get back on the horse in a surprisingly short
time. Told her the position it would put her hips in is the safest position
to be in and no more dangerous (falling off) than many other activities we
do in daily life. So, talk to your surgeon. It might be much easier than
you think. Plus, fix it now and you can enjoy being active and pain-free
for much longer!

All the best!
Leah