I concur that the skeleton key front derailer turns out to be a "high Q
factor" or "large front chain line" model.  When used on a skinny tire road
bike, with a narrower Q factor crankset, it doesn't reach.

Still, I really liked the cage size and shape, so I went ahead and made my
own eccentric spacer to pull it inboard, and now it shifts my
narrow-Q-factor triple just fine.

Here's the plastic raw material I
used: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/52444537055/
Here's what the finished spacer looks
like: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/52444371359
Here's what it looks like with the FD clamped around
it:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/52445653361

Here's a link to the entire album, which has some more shots of my setup on
my small
lathe:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/albums/72177720303067081/with/52445653361/

Bill Lindsay