Hi Dave,
I was quite surprised at the handling difference as well. I went from a
heavy canvas military surplus bag attached to the handlebars to a light
mini rack that attaches to the brake posts and a very light low basket from
a 1950's office paper in box, or was it an out box?
The weight is very similar so the slower handling  was unexpected. The mass
with the rack is probably 6" farther forward, and I thought lower, but the
bag actually is pretty long and would hit the rack top, now that I think of
it. Maybe just the  weight being farther from the steering axis is all I am
experiencing. For bars, the options are VO Granola and Soma Port Mann and
both are 31.8 so a new stem may be an issue.
Tom