Hi all:
I live in car-centric, crowded, northeastern NJ.  I joined a gym two towns
over and ride my bike to the gym, about 3.5 miles each way.  I take the
least busiest streets possible, but unfortunately, I need to ride through a
semi-busy, though traffic-lit intersection.

In my last 12 trips to the gym, I have had two near misses which could have
been hits if I did not ride like Kent Peterson had described.  "Treat cars
like big animals with poor eyesight that can't see you.  In one case, at
night, although I have a Schmidt Edelux II, a huge reflective ankle
bracelet on my basket, wear a reflective vest and have reflective ankle
bands, I had a car nearly make a left turn into me while I was crossing the
intersection.  The car was going straight through, and without signalling,
decided to turn left at the last minute.  I stopped in time to prevent "the
left cross".  Not less than 5 days later, in clear, bright daylight, I had
a car pass me on the right and then proceed to turn right in front of me.
(I think this is called the right hook?).  Again, applying Kent's approach
to riding, I was able to stop in time.

I am thankful my skills were sufficent to prevent contact, but now I am
skittish.  Given the legalized weed and the propensity for peope to drink
around this time of year, I am finding excuses not to ride to the gym, even
in daylight.  I think it is the back-to-back nature of these incidents that
has me most unnerved.

How have all of you got your groove back on?

Kind regards,
Jay LePree
Demarest, NJ