I understand how you feel.  We all feel this way occasionally and most
places are car centric in that there is not bike specific infrastructure.
And gyms are located on heavily traveled roads as most businesses are.  I'm
a Cycling Savvy Instructor which helps riders understand the traffic system
so you can have a better experience.  I invite you to join me for my next
course Jan 27th.  The classroom session is on Zoom so you can attend from
anywhere.  Please let me know if you are interested and I can send you the
link.  By all means you should be able to ride your bike wherever you
want.  Cycling Savvy has helped me do just that.  I make all my trips by
bike except one per week (to keep the battery charged).  If I can, you can
too.  I'm in Charlotte, NC which is also car centric.