I've installed about the same number of metal -- Honjo, VO, Berthoud,
Kelpie, Wald -- but mostly VO -- and plastic fenders, SKS, Blumel, Zefal,
Avocet, Planet Bike, etc. Metal ones properly installed are more rigid
while plastic ones *can* -- but don't always -- rattle from vibration. Some
metal ones are sturdier than plastic: stainless steel, Wald, 2X gauge
aluminum Kelpie, but most are more prone to damage than plastic, but only
very slightly so IME.

Metal ones tend to be longer -- I've had some SKSs and PBs that were
absurdly short and required 8" or 10" long front mudflaps for full
coverage. And metal ones almost always IME look better: curves and gaps
more even, better looking fender and strut materials.