I am also building up a new Sam.   I am planning to use a
quill-to-threadless riser (
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/soma-high-rider-xl-quill-28-6-22-2-290mm-4984?category=983#attr=2406)
 so
that I can experiment with different stem lengths using a few used
threadless stems in varied lengths to dial in the geometry for comfort.
 Since these stems have removable faceplates, it should be relatively
painless to play around with things without removing brakes and bar end
shifters.  Once I get the geometry figured out, I'd like end up with a
Nitto Technomic or Tallux.