RE: JB

Near as I can remember, I started lusting after bicycles at about age
four...that was a long time ago now. A Dutch track bike dangled from a
rafter in my Grandfather's garage. It was love at first sight. When I laid
eyes on my first 10-speed in 1958—a Raleigh Bluestreak—my head (and heart)
exploded. I've been chasing that one ever since.

My bikes are all steel, I built the oldest in 1998 and most recently one of
Hiroshi's EBISU, built precisely for my 130 lb. frame. It's an artful, no
nonsense rocketship. Fast as any carbon—but with its skinny tubes, lugs,
and curvy fork—looks like it, too, was built in 1958. I also was employed
by Richard Schwinn in Waterford, WI—therefore surrounded by the metal works
of many legends, including Richard himself. Those guys all know a thing or
two.

On our long rides together, my pals and I carried on endlessly about JB the
engineer or rather, his many opinions  / obsessions / observations. We all
agreed with most every JB declaration. We whiled away the hours, mile after
mile, jabbering until our vocal chords gave out. I didn't have the math
skills to make it as an engineer, but I've got the heart for it. My
grandfather was a brilliant aircraft designer...I just wasn't there when
the math genes were passed out.

But I am handy, I love tools, and I've always maintained and built my own
bicycles (frames notwithstanding). In fact, the only mechanic I ever
trusted was Colin O'Brien, proprietor of Cronometro in Madison Wisconsin
and as I recall I may have let him work on one of my bikes one time long
ago.

Someone wondered how he'd fit in today, good question. I have a riding pal
in Athens, GA with a beautiful collection of steel bikes—including works by
Richard Sachs, Peter Weigle, Pegoretti, Masi, and others in that club. But
he also rides modern carbon bikes and will argue energetically with anyone
who looks down on today's machines. He loves his 'plastic' (as referenced
by Richard S.) 26-speed and the science behind it.

So back to JB. I'd be inclined to say that he'd look down upon carbon bikes
(with 8 oz. carbon wheels) and the way we ride them. Meaning lots of gears,
high cadence, wider tires, plastic seatposts 2 feet long, skinsuits, bike
positioning, white socks reaching up to the knees, and those damn white
shoes  etc. etc.

But maybe, with his obvious intelligence and brilliant engineering chops,
he'd totally embrace the technology.

The more I think about it, I'm betting he would. Afterall, consider all the
carbon in a Porsche 963. Take away all that plastic, not much left but the
tires.

BEST / Jock Dewey