IME thumb loops, or perhaps just using the loops for your thumbs, works
better than looping a cape to the bar. (Fortunately my Campmore has those.)

Yes to waist straps; my current Campmore had elastic leg loops instead of a
waist strap that were very awkward to get into. I cut them off and sewed a
sufficient weight of small stacks of large washers at 2 or 3 points along
the bottom rear seam, and this works (for me at any rate) even better than
a waist strap. Pull the poncho over your head, stick thumbs in loops, get
on bike, rear naturally falls to cover saddlebag.

Next modification: cut off hood, since I have a Grundens hat.