Yep, British term. I've never heard it said here in the US but I've seen it
in writing plenty of times throughout my decade-plus of experience with
bikes (I was born seven years after Bridgestone USA folded and have been
working on bikes since late elementary school). As far as I know the term
has been around for a long time.

Josiah