Here’s a route that I followed from Arcata to SF in 2019. Gorgeous scenery that
included the Avenue of the Giants.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36610339

As noted by others, the best direction to ride the coast is usually
north-south, which is what I did. You can do the ride in reverse, of course,
but you’re likely to have headwinds.

I did this ride as a 600Km qualifier for Paris-Brest-Paris, finishing just
within the 40-hour time limit (including a brief sleep in Fort Bragg). To get a
full 600Km, the route heads north a bit before turning south; you’ll see that
in the cue sheet.

Hope you have a great ride!

--Eric Norris
campyonly...@me.com