My experience is only with the V.1 Beacon, and I must admit it has been a bit disappointing to me, so I’m hoping some of the shortcomings have been improved in this new version. Like Jeff mentioned, it just kinda blasts a lot of light out, unfocused, so it’s best for off-road riding. Personally, I’d prefer a focused beam for both paved and off-road. I’ve found the USB charging feature to be practically useless for my needs. I could ride all day with a smartphone plugged in, and I’d be lucky if my battery percentage went up more than 3-4%. When I tried to charge my Garmin Edge Explore, it made my device freak out so bad, I thought I’d damaged it. When I contacted the owner of Sinewave about this, he said he was aware that certain Garmin devices didn’t work well with the Beacon’s charger. So, the two devices I bought the light to work with won’t work with it. I’ve heard it’s best to use it to trickle charge a separate battery bank, but those are so powerful these days, I can practically go 3-4 days on a bike trip, charging my devices as needed on a full charged bank. So I basically have a really expensive, gorgeous, very well-constructed dyno light that only really does one thing well, and that’s blast out a lot of light. I really wanted to love it, but I’m way happier with my Edelux II on my other bike.

I know it’s a popular light and works great for a lot of people in certain situations. I’m curious to know if the V.2 Beacon is a significant improvement over the issues I had with it, but it would probably take a lot to convince me to try another one.

-B