Now that's interesting. Watch even older videos of Coppi and Bartalli on
climbs and on the flats; 50 rpm standing in a 62" gear, and -- Coppi -- 120
rpm bursts in a 93" high alternating with coasting on the flats (48 X 14-21
4 speed); much as I used to ride (we pros share a great deal) with the
difference that (this was 30 years ago) my flatland cruising was about 64"
at 108+ rpm for 20+ mph. No longer! 90 in a 76" gear is high. Funny, it was
riding fixed that transformed me from a twiddler to a masher; true.