Don't know if it fits into your itinerary, but the HI hostel in Santa Monica
is a nice place to have a layover:  http://www.hilosangeles.org/

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Jim M. <mather...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd stick to the coast. It's more pleasant than the inland route.
> Also, if you go inland, you climb over the Santa Monica mountains
> twice -- once to get to the valley and again to get over to W.
> Hollywood. The coast mostly has a shoulder, but watch out for parked
> cars opening doors. I'd do that route early in the morning on a
> weekend if you can to avoid the beach traffic. If it's a weekday, wait
> until after the commute rush. When you get to Santa Monica head inland
> on Entrada to Ocean Ave, which will take you up to San Vicente Blvd.
> San Vicente will take you into Westwood. I'd probably take Santa
> Monica Blvd to West Hollywood from there but don't expect a fun ride.
> It will be heavy traffic and you'll need to be alert.
>
> I haven't lived in LA for a long time, so maybe some current Angelenos
> will chime in with alternatives.
>
> jim m
> wc ca
>
> Once you get to Santa Monica
>
> On May 25, 10:36 am, Christine Masterson <crmaster...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello...
> > I have my bike trip planned as far as Ventura, CA. AS I will not be
> camping,
> > and do not have $800 for a night's lodging (!), I am would like
> suggestions
> > about biking into LA.  Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > CRM says Got Mind?  Got Bicycle?  Got Bicycle Mind?
> >
> > --
> groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch?hl=en.

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye,
scientist guy