Thanks everyone, appreciate the well-wishes because this is truly a pain in
the ass.

And Leah, to answer your questions:
1) I have no idea what kind of mileage I've clocked, but for a time I was
commuting anywhere from 5-9 mi/day five days/wk for months on end, so even
at a conservative estimate of 2,000 miles/year I've probably done about
26k. That doesn't include longer rides, going to and fro from different
events and errands, etc. Could be more! I never bothered to get a computer.
2) The paint job is a custom color I chose when I ordered the frame (I
wasn't wild about the sky blue, to be honest), although I did inquire about
a raw steel/clear coat combo initially. One of these days I'm going to have
the whole frame stripped, shipped, and repainted, but for now I just gotta
get it out of the shop!

And PIAW - agree, unless you're regularly making adjustments to the cockpit
these things fall by the wayside. I didn't mess with the stem until
recently, when I tried to raise it in order to adjust my reach while I deal
with this shoulder issue. Tug at the sweater and the whole thing unravels,
as they say.