It sounds like you may have a problem with the spindle bearings.  I
would start with what newenglandbike said and check the spindle nut.
The bearings may be rough for a few reasons:

1.  Whenever bearings are line manufactured, there is not as much
attention to detail when packing bearings.  The bearings could just be
a little dry and squirting some grease in there may fix the problem.

2.  A lot of times, the spindle bearings get over-tightened.  This
happens when there is not enough play in the spindle between the two
retaining nuts on the spindle axle.  This can cause the bearings to be
sort of crunchy, but can easily be fixed.  You will first have to
loosen the outer nut that holds the retaining nut in place, and then
just slightly loosen the retaining nut (I would recommend 1/4 turn at
a time) until you get the spindle to the perfect spot.  Your
adjustment reaches perfection when you have minimal play, but the
pedals spin smoothly.  You can get your pedals way smoother making
this adjustment but it takes a little bit of patience.

I wish I would have seen this post a little earlier, I just got done
rebuilding an pair of Atom 700s and I could have taken pictures; they
are built the same way.  Let me know if you have any questions.