I never understood the need for groups of cyclists to denigrate the kind of
cycling other people do.

In the 1990s, I rode with a cyclist who was sponsored by Bridgestone, Eric
House (the first man to do Furnace Creek 508 in under 30
hours: https://www.furnacecreek508.com/reports/1992fc508.html).

One time he read an article on the Rivendell Reader where Grant wrote about
cycling for fun being a better form of cycling than racing. He said: "What,
those of us who commute or use the bike for utility can't be in a hurry to
get to a meeting on time?" Every time you have to take your kids to school
on a bike you're effectively in a race against time, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with that. Sure, it's nice to have lots of time and go as
slow as you like, but I found Eric House's arguments compelling as well.
And there are times when you feel like pushing hard and there's also
nothing wrong with that.

Similarly sometimes I read something about how certain forms of mountain
biking should be considered "stunt riding", and I find myself thinking, if
they're having fun on a bike, I see nothing wrong with that. The first
folks who descended Mt. Tam on balloon tires were denigrated by the Sierra
Clubs and other conservative organizations as doing something unnatural. In
the end cyclists lost the battle and most single-track on Mt. Tam, the
birthplace of mountain biking is banned to cyclists. I find that very sad.

One of my friends recently convinced me to visit Whistler for a downhill
MTB trip. It's the antithesis of what I usually do, taking a ski lift up a
mountain and riding the bike downhill
(https://blog.piaw.net/2023/07/2023-whistler-day-1.html). When I got off
the ski lift I rode up the ramp to the start of one of the trails and the
instructor said to me, "You're not supposed to do that. You're supposed to
walk up the ramp." It was hilarious since obviously in road cycling,
walking means failure. My kids complained about having to take classes and
threatened to crash deliberately so they didn't have to do it. But by the
end of the 3rd day they were no longer complaining and the older one asked
for a fourth day. As one of my friends said: "When you do a jump and get a
half second of air time it's one of the most amazing feelings in the
world." And once again I find it hard to argue against that.

All I have to say is ride bike. Any bike anywhere any time. It's always
better than being in a car, and it's always fun!