These levers come from TRP with a little plastic wedge piece that sits
under the top of the clamp and causes the the lever to rotate down a bit
when installed. You can install the levers with or without the wedge,
depending on how you prefer them to be angled. It sounds like you might
want them angled down more than they are. Do you have these wedges? If not,
you can buy them from TRP separately for around $10 for a pair, IIRC. Or
see if Riv has some in a bin.