Hmm, Myself I'd grab an old worn tire if I had one on hand, and make a
small boot for underneath it. Inflate it and see how the cut now appears,
if it's gaping more/less and such. I've never had a boot that didn't work
or fail, those were all on narrow high pressure road tires. A knobby at
much lower pressure should be a breeze.