It's to get the chain takeup of a long-cage derailleur, without the long
cage. A shorter cage is less likely to get bent, or to get banged against
rocks, roots and other debris.

Suntour did a full model range of 3-pulley rears as a special arrangement
for Nishiki (early 80s?). My LBS (the late lamented Missing Link of
Berkeley CA) had a display in the window of their repair shop with about
six different models of 3-pulley derailleurs mounted on it: LePree, Honor,
Cyclone, XC, Mountech etc. I had a 3-pulley Mountech sitting in my parts
box for about a decade, waiting for a project. When I suddenly had to build
up a Trek 720 to replace the Raleigh International pack mule I wrecked just
before Christmas 2021, I was about to transfer the Huret Duopar Eco over
from the Raleigh when I remembered the 3-pulley, and decided to try it for
awhile. I've been riding it for about 18 months, and it's been perfectly
fine. And I've never pretzeled the pulley cage by accidentally bumping a
barcon and getting the derailleur in the wrong gear, which is more than I
can say for the Duopar Ecos; I've twisted two Huret cages that way, which
is why I've collected four or five of them.

In operation, the "third" pulley at the lower front of the Suntour is a
secondary tension pulley; it only pulls into contact with the chain when
the chain is especially slack. When the chain is running loose, the second
pulley (primary tension pulley) at the lower rear swings backwards,
bringing the third pulley into contact with the chain and supporting the
run to the chainring better. When the chain's tension increases, the cage
rotates forward, disengaging the third pulley from the chain.

Peter Adler
Berkeley, CA/USA