I live in California but I ride year round, so I don't avoid rain. I also
take a perverse pleasure in destroying bike parts and bike frames, to the
point where I actually track mileage on various
components: https://blog.piaw.net/2009/04/lifetime-of-bike-parts.html

I check my chain every month or so, and I wear the tires down to the
casing. I buy high quality parts and don't usually need to do more than
replacing a BB every 25000 miles. I used to run Shimano hubs and got tired
of paying to repack the bearings. It turned out that while I could clean
and grease the hubs, I hated messing with the preload and the special
spanners. After about 5 years the maintenance from paying someone to
overhaul the bearings costs more than the hubs themselves, so now I've
switched to sealed bearing hubs. I don't tear down my bikes to do
maintenance, just replace whatever parts wear out as they go bad. I've
discovered that things like headsets don't go bad. Living in California I
don't need anti-rust, despite riding in the rain --- they don't put salt on
the roads and the rain cleans the bike for me.

I do build my own wheels whenever I can. Though now that I've found Ted
Nugent's website I can't build my own wheels cheaper than buying from him,
so I might just buy from Nugent from now on. I don't even clean my bikes
--- which is why sometimes I'll break a frame and not notice until the bike
starts shifting on its own and I inspect it for cracks --- another reason I
shouldn't ride carbon bikes.

Things that have me going to bike shops: (1) bent derailleur hanger ---
they can fix it far faster than I can, and I can't be bothered to buy the
tool. (2) kids bikes indexing --- don't like messing with those and I can't
ever get them right anyway (3) suspension overhauls -- don't have the tools
(4) hydraulic disc brakes --- those go on MTBs which don't get high mileage
and I don't want to mess with those.